I am manually altering spell effects with custom Anti Magic effects or fire and frost. and sparks to use fire or frost visuals and changing the description to match:
Affected magic effects so far:
- crShockDamageConcAimed – Sparks
- ShockDamageFFAimed75 -ThunderBolt
I quickly realized the above was dumb and gonna take ages, so im now attempting to extract the .nifs for shock meshes, sounds and effects. Then rename other equivelent non shock effects as the shock files and load them as loose files, for compatibilities sake.
This should mean that nothing gets broken and any mods using vanilla shock effects, will also inherit these changes, without any compatibility issues. Worst case, the projectile doesn’t look right.
- Casting art are in meshes/magic and dictate the effect of having the spell equipped and hands raised.
- Casting light can be ignored, it’s just the passive bluish light that emanates from the casting art.
- hit effect art –
- hit Shader – the effect that displays when a character is hit by a spell or under the effect of a cloak.
I then realized i would still have to go through each one by one, so tried another approach.
I extracted most of skyrims bsas and used Everything by Voidtools search tool, to search for shock, lightning etc.. in the extracted directory. There’s almost certainly some stuff i missed, doing it this way, but i wouldn’t have found it manually anyway and hopefully people report anything i missed. It should be easy to find once i know what it is.
Anyway, the next step is to replace all of these files with equivalent non shock ones.
Im going through and checking them with nifscope, to figure if they even need to be changed and to find similar non shock ones.
- fxatronachstormskinlightning – made empty model , no reasonable replacements
- shockspider meshes – its just a pastel blue spider.
- potion bottles meshes – are just boring bottles
- explosionshock01 – just a blueish sphere
- fxshockcloak01.nif – vaguely lightning. Replaced with fxicecloak01.nif
- lightningmassbolt03.nif replaced with iceprojectile02.nif – may look odd
That didn’t seem to work either. so i followed the creation kit spell spark back to its effect files and replaced those and it worked! see the video below
No more Shock sounds! I have replaced all the shock sounds i could find and altered the colors of shock effects which use the texture gradients to green and red. Unfortunately many effects colors are embedded in their mesh.nif. But in combination with all my changes it seems i managed to remove those pesky flickering…
With this mod the aim is to eliminate all vanilla references to shock, including sounds and visuals. So far ive removed the shock spells from J’zargo and gave him a much more sensible spell arsenal (he doesn’t even have his own “J’zargos flame cloak in vanilla). A little extra mana, and the destruction tree perks….