This fix was successfully applied to the retail disc version of the game, on a windows 10 machine, on the 10/05/2022.
First try running it in compatiblity mode:
- Right click on the shortcut or executable
- Select “Troubleshoot Compatibility”
- Select “Try recommended settings”. This will probably apply a windows XP service pack compatibility.
- Click “Test the program…”
- If that fails, close the troubleshooter window and try the next fix.
The Stupid Invaders 2000/XP Patch
- Go here: https://archive.org/details/StupidInvaders2000xpPatch
- On the right hand side under download options, click on “WINDOWS EXECUTABLE”
- Open and run the downlaoded executable.
- Select “PATCH!”
- Wait for the confirmation message, then close the patch window
- Launch the game
Hopefully your game is now working fine. These are the steps i used to get it working for a client, but if they don’t work for you heres some other stuff you can try: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Stupid_Invaders